So, I finally got a response. I tried the proposed strategy and it has been working fine for the last 16 hours. The problem I have is that Pebble is aware of this problem. Many people are having it, and it is not posted anywhere on any site or forum where it can be easily found. So I will put it here:
Thank you for letting us know.
We’ve determined the cause of the issue and are currently working on a fix, which we’ll release as soon as possible.
For some preliminary troubleshooting in the interim, please try reinstalling the Pebble app on your iPhone to clear the app cache.
Once complete, please try the following steps to reset and reconnect the Pebble watch:
- Place your watch on the watch charger and make sure it is charging.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your device. Find your Pebble and Pebble LE in the list > click on the blue “i” > Forget this device.
- Hard close the Pebble app on your phone by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Pebble app, and then clear the notifications tray found by swiping down from the top of the iPhone display.
- Restart your phone by holding the home and lock buttons down until the apple logo appears on the screen (this should 5-10 seconds but may take longer)
- Try pressing & holding the left + right middle + right top buttons for 40 seconds. This reset the watch and make it discoverable to other Bluetooth devices.
- Pair the Pebble watch through the Pebble Time app instead of the iPhone Bluetooth menu.
- Re-open the Pebble app to complete a firmware update.