FIXED: Screen tearing: memory leaks and battery level?

Alex said:
No way to dismantle old pebbles but i did find charging my old pebble through my computer rather than a wall socket stopped the tearing almost completely too.
But there is the hot water bath treatment you could try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgCaLQNLKEM

I'm presuming your warranty is expired.

I have one of the older ones without screws. I got a rubber band that doesn’t show up too much and doubled it over on itself several times and then put it around the lower part of the watch, just below the display. This puts pressure and holds that contact just a little bit better. I still get tearing every once in a while, but it is back to being usable whereas before I was ready to trash it.

mine is just 3 months old and is starting to tearing :neutral: - but i bought it in a store, through amazon; if it gets worse should i ask to amazon or directly to pebble?

@AB just contact Pebble via support, if you just bought it 3 months ago you’re definitely under warranty so it should be a non-issue to get it replaced - may need to provide an image/video, but otherwise, good to go.

ok, thank you; i’ll write directly to them :slight_smile:

Thank you guys! This tips fix my screen crash for now!

thanks for the fix, just revived two pebbles. the first one is kinda stable, the second one the vibrator got disconnected because it was stuck to the back cover, had to go through a whole drama with the beginner soldering, but manage to get it vibrate at the end :slight_smile:

appreciate pebble responds to the issue pretty quickly.
happy pebbling guys :smiley:

I have one of the earlier models and have had issues with screen tearing since it was new to the point that the watch is totally unusable ! Tried all the troubleshooting remedies and was hoping a firmware update would solve the problem.NO SUCH LUCK !!! It seems like the majority of the earlier models were fatality plagued with this problem. Hopefully Pebble will do the right thing and replace this POS even though it is out of warranty by now.

Ollie Corkran said:
I have one of the earlier models and have had issues with screen tearing since it was new to the point that the watch is totally unusable ! Tried all the troubleshooting remedies and was hoping a firmware update would solve the problem.NO SUCH LUCK !!!!! It seems like the majority of the earlier models were fatality plagued with this problem. Hopefully Pebble will do the right thing and replace this POS even though it is out of warranty by now.
If you have read anything on this forum you would know that Pebble is replacing watches even if out of warranty.

The screen connector is the Mother Board battery like rounded thing. I’ve fixed with two pieces of electrical sticky tape instead which is easier than card board, worked for me! thanks Harry Teicher for the solution!
btw, be careful when you open the back lid. The screen connector sticked to back lid quite confirmly you may need a spudger to separate them

I used some folded up electrical tape as shim and it did work as advertised.

My Pebble looks like CalvinLai’s. I put the tape parallel to the black tape in the watch (same size, right on top of it). This way it doesn’t cover the vibration motor or what I assume is the antenna (flex circuit on right). One note, tough. The vibration motor is glued to the lid and circuit board. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry it loose from the lid. Just be careful. The wires are very short and seem a bit fragile.

Thanx Harry that fixed my screen tearing issue.it’s been a week so far so good steel needs a t04 torx

Thanks. It works for me. Not yet tested water resistant but i think it is ok.

I was given a Kickstarter Edition with the screen tearing issue by a friend, I didn’t fancy the destructive frontal route into the case so I went in through the back.
Making the assumption that the raised section of the back would be a slightly larger area than that of the internal space I milled a 2.5mm slot 0.9mm deep 0.7mm inside the edge to leave a “wall” to facilitate fitting a replacement back.
A custom pair of soft jaws like this -
Photo not included as I can’t post links yet :frowning:
Allow the Pebble to be held securely in a milling vice like this -
A little careful fiddling with a scalpel and internal access is gained -
If all goes well with making a polyurethane spring to apply pressure in the right places the plan is to make a replacement back, possibly engraved with all the original markings, in stainless steel with a step around the edge allowing the new back to be retained and the case re-sealed with polyurethane adhesive sealant :wink:

• Nick

original pebble with torx, and napkin fix of tearing survived washing up

Sean Hawkes said:
I have one of the earlier models and have had issues with screen tearing since it was new to the point that the watch is totally unusable ! Tried all the troubleshooting remedies and was hoping a firmware update would solve the problem.NO SUCH LUCK !!!!! It seems like the majority of the earlier models were fatality plagued with this problem. Hopefully Pebble will do the right thing and replace this POS even though it is out of warranty by now.
If you have read anything on this forum you would know that Pebble is replacing watches even if out of warranty.
That is correct. I'm on my fourth Pebble now having purchased one of the originals just after Kickstarter - all RMA'd with no resistance at Pebble's expense. But that's the problem. My Pebbles (original) only last about four months before the scrambling starts and gets progressively worse. It usually takes me about two months to get annoyed enough to do the RMA thing again. Bottom line is that it is a design flaw and Pebble hasn't fixed it. Instead, they keep developing new watches leaving folks like me/us with this ever-repeating problem. I suspect many Pebbles now sit in drawers unused due to this problem. Putting customers on an endless merry-go-round of replacements is a poor "fix" IMO. It is frustrating because otherwise, I really love my Pebble and think the core design/approach is spot on.

So at this point I really think that applying this padding/ship fix is my best option. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll look for a different brand of smartwatch since I just can't bring myself to spend money on a Pebble Time given Pebble's unwillingness to actually fix these watches. I've told them that I just want a fixed watch and not an RMA return. I'll wait and see what happens.

Nice fix. My pebble steel back to alive after 6 months. 40 hours count to now without any tearing. Good trick. Thumb up!!!
P/S: I wont plan to buy a new pebble if the product keeping like this. As ppl said above Pebble replaced for you even yours is out of warranty. But its still very troublesome, especially in a country like mine where Pebble dont have any store and customer fee to receive item is too high. 30% plus more with the price. And shipping fee and waiting time is high and long too.
Will buy new kind of Pebble when mostly feedbacks are postive, and nothing relate to hardware problem.
Thank you and see you in hopely near future :blush:

NickHulme said:
I was given a Kickstarter Edition with the screen tearing issue by a friend, I didn't fancy the destructive frontal route into the case so I went in through the back.
Making the assumption that the raised section of the back would be a slightly larger area than that of the internal space I milled a 2.5mm slot 0.9mm deep 0.7mm inside the edge to leave a "wall" to facilitate fitting a replacement back.
A custom pair of soft jaws like this -
Photo not included as I can't post links yet :-(
Allow the Pebble to be held securely in a milling vice like this -
A little careful fiddling with a scalpel and internal access is gained -
If all goes well with making a polyurethane spring to apply pressure in the right places the plan is to make a replacement back, possibly engraved with all the original markings, in stainless steel with a step around the edge allowing the new back to be retained and the case re-sealed with polyurethane adhesive sealant ;-)

- Nick
Brilliant. I hope to see some pictures of your work someday before attempting this myself!

@DeRedder said:
CalvinLai said:

so i had a case of corruption… guess the sheet of cardboard paper i used wasn’t thick enough

opened her up today and inserted an extra layer of cardboard paper, re-greased the seals, and closed her up

let’s see if that does the trick permanently…

It will do nothing; in your pictures I can see that the piece of cardboard is cut around the part that sticks out of the back plate. The part that sticks out is the one which is at fault; it does not exert enough pressure on the ‘thing’ (with the black tape) on the other side which is presses on.
Myself I took painting tape and cut out several pieces the size of the ‘black tape covered thing’, and put those on top of each other. So looking at 6-8 pieces of painting tape stacked on top of each other. Needless to say it never had any problems ever since.

I’ll add a picture:
Thank you DeRedder! the picture helped; I cut up a business card the size of the ‘black tape covered thing’ folded it in half (so it is twice as thick) and used a glue stick - it works like a champ! A t-4 screw driver, an old business card and glue stick saved me from trashing my Pebble Steel.

Thx for all the ppl with this brilliant idea. I got a Pebble Steel brand new 1 weeks ago, within 1 hour it started to show flickering,tearing issues (I didn’t install fancy Apps or Watchface like Yweather etc , only Misfit, Timer+). Though every time the issue occurs,I just randomly press the buttons, it disappears within seconds. But it is really annoying especially it starts at the very first beginning. So after one week, it looks like the issue will never disappear by itself and I also filed a RMA to Pebble (Thx a lot Pebble, for your prompt respond). 2 days ago I bought Torex No.4 screw driver with some tape, spent 5 mins to hack it. Now it is already 2 full days, the corrupted screen never shows again (Previously it showed average at least 10 times a day or even 20+ times within one hour). What’s the theory behind the hack I really don’t know. I even don’t know actually the tape helped on which parts in the watch ( The black chip on the motherboard or the black foam near the bottom edge?). But it solves the problem and so far so good. So thanks again for ppl came out this great idea and showed the pics of hacking at here.
One last thing is the Watch is still water resistant (or water proof)? I tired when I took shower, it is fine. Swimming? I don’t know yet.
It looks like not so many Classic Pebble suffer this issue, I might be not that lucky. But luckily with the great idea and RMA support, I can do it without worries. Thx fellow Pebble owners and thx Pebble Customer Service. Happy New Year 2016! Cheers!

P/S- Cant upload pictures, sorry.