How many people have trusted their pebble to water

It can be done but theres some uncertainty there.

I can’t attest to my new Pebble Time Steel, but I can tell you from first hand experience my Pebble Steel is a veritable tank. It has survived dust and dirt torture tests (working in the yard with CACTUS and desert growth), intense water tests (bathing the dogs), and daily wear and tear. I am very clumsy, and I tend to bump into things.

My Steel shows some pretty heavy wear and tear around the bezel, on the black metal band (will never own a black stainless steel band again) and there are some light scratches on screen and only one heavy chip from a hard and direct hit. I keep it one around for my “weekend” wear-and-tear watch and my Pebble Time Steel as my workday or dress watch.

The Pebble Time Steel, though, got some light scratches on it during the first week with me wearing it to work and back. I work a non-labor intensive desk job. So, I have some Gadgetwraps on the way to protect the screen fully while it wears a cheap screen protector from eBay.

I didn’t worried when I go swimming with my pebble on. Recently I can getting crashes on my phone, but it turn out it’s a Bluetooth LE bug. I hope the support team can fix it soon.

After carefully reading literally every post here… I’ve gotta say. I felt a lot of emotional ups and downs… and began thinking could this ever happen to my pebble? I got it used for $75.00 and I’ve been washing my hands with it on and even sometimes not…
I think it could happen to my pebble, so I opted to not use it in the shower.
I think everyone else should do the same. You never know and if you’re the one unlucky person who’s pebble dies on you because of water you’re going to suddenly feel really dumb for trying it. If you don’t have a warranty (especially), I got mine used. Don’t do it.

sure… the idea of being able to take it with me anywhere is REALLY NICE but when it’s 20 minutes I can’t have it with me and when I’m not expecting anyone to send me a message during my shower at 1 am… anyways. What’s the point?

I think trying to actually preserve all of your technology for as long as you can is the wiser choice. Given… any technology can break down no matter how long the manufacturer claims it will last… mind you most of my technology doesn’t break on me unless it gets physically scuffed up or dropped. Even then some of it survives.

Also, for more accurate representations… I have what I think is a pebble Original, and if I were to shower with it on me, i’d be running my hands and wrists and arms up above my head under the water for extended periods of time while just enjoying the shower, sometimes upwards of 3 whole minutes just… getting warm and going mmmm shower feels so refreshing etc.
So I also noticed…

Some people who have had success with it in the shower likely have not kept their hands or wrists under the running water for long periods of time as it’s meant to be splash proof, they probably also did not take really long showers.
My showers can extend upwards of 40 minutes if I’m feeling good enough and wanna stay in longer and I have the time to (I know it’s a luxury)

Even so the people saying theirs break or have defects after only one attempt at taking it with them make me weary of water damage.

In conclusion,
I really want to take my pebble into the shower with me but I’m afraid if I do I’ll have some bad luck and then feel stupid and a bit sad (very sad) staring at a screen that now doesn’t function, or a battery life of less than 8 hours or. possibly worse. Full on malfunction and water leakage into the device.
If I were you, any of you, I would think twice. That’s just my opinion call me paranoid but I really don’t want to risk it.
Also kudos to those of you who’ve showered with their pebble and managed to keep it working for 2 whole years.
I have bad luck with technology as it is… so I’d be scared to even try.

Side note: I’m trying to learn how to develop motion detection and I have no idea how accelerators work.
Is it possible to detect say, an arm swing, or the speed at which someone’s wrist is travelling at (and possible the direction not just the angle) based on irregular changes in angle and momentum assuming that the pattern of changing values could signify different types of movement all together. What if I were for instance to capture the exact values multiple times for one type of movement.
And then make a fuzzy logic check based on those values to register that movement specifically, the one I did…

Perhaps a companion app could be used to custom calibrate movement detection to each person… then it could be used as a type of gesture controller…

I owned the original Pebble for a year and I rarely removed the watch. The only time I take the watch off is if I don’t want to wait for my third-party strap to dry (nylon) or if the watch is charging. Using the original Pebble I washed my hands, swam in pools, and showered with it on all the time and experienced no water damage.

I have owned the Pebble Time since release and I have treated it the exact same as my original Pebble. I still wash my hands, shower, and swim with my watch and experience no issues at all and love this watch. I personally recommend treating the watch like a watch and not stress about taking every possible precaution to keep the watch in a pristine shape.

Edit: Being able to control my music from my watch while showering is an important use for me

Since I had my first pebble time which got damaged while wearing it for 5 minutes in a pool, I have tested every other PT in a glass of water right after purchase. I try not to press the buttons while submerged though.

People need to understand that water resistance is not something that remains in perpetuity. I’m not sure why Pebble don’t mention this to consumers, as this is standard practice to provide a warning for more expensive watches.

Water resistance is achieved via gaskets that degrade over time. Eventually, they will become dry and brittle and fail to protect the watch. After a year or so a watchmaker should check the unit if you regularly immerse your Pebble in water. That timescale is to be on the safe side; the gaskets may well last much longer than that as I’m sure many have been able to prove.

Steffen said:
People need to understand that water resistance is not something that remains in perpetuity. I'm not sure why Pebble don't mention this to consumers, as this is standard practice to provide a warning for more expensive watches.

Water resistance is achieved via gaskets that degrade over time. Eventually, they will become dry and brittle and fail to protect the watch. After a year or so a watchmaker should check the unit if you regularly immerse your Pebble in water. That timescale is to be on the safe side; the gaskets may well last much longer than that as I'm sure many have been able to prove.
I've had a lot of watches that advertised water resistance and they held their promise, even after years of usage (at least for regular use and some swimming every now and then, even in salt water). I think a lot of people just are really more than annoyed if they find out like me, that if you take out a brand new watch out of its box, that it's damaged right away. From what I read, most water damage was reported when the watches came into contact with water for the first time. Considering the release date of the PT, I think this is rather a quality issue than an issue of gaskets. It may be the gaskets, but then they are either faulty or not mounted properly. My first PT replacement (waterdamage) had crooked buttons. I kept it as it really was water resistant which was more important to me. I'd think Pebble needs to step up its quality department.

Mike said:
I've had a lot of watches that advertised water resistance and they held their promise, even after years of usage (at least for regular use and some swimming every now and then, even in salt water). I think a lot of people just are really more than annoyed if they find out like me, that if you take out a brand new watch out of its box, that it's damaged right away.
Fair enough. But even a low-end brand like Citizen provides a detailed warning with regards to water resistance: http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-uk/faq-category/water-resistance; it's clear that optimum WR after 18 months is a bonus, and should not necessarily be an expectation. Showering accelerates the degradation process due to the soap used.

I see your point with regards to units failing straight away - of course that should not be happening.

Steffen said:
Mike said:
I've had a lot of watches that advertised water resistance and they held their promise, even after years of usage (at least for regular use and some swimming every now and then, even in salt water). I think a lot of people just are really more than annoyed if they find out like me, that if you take out a brand new watch out of its box, that it's damaged right away.
Fair enough. But even a low-end brand like Citizen provides a detailed warning with regards to water resistance: http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-uk/faq-category/water-resistance; it's clear that optimum WR after 18 months is a bonus, and should not necessarily be an expectation. Showering accelerates the degradation process due to the soap used.

I see your point with regards to units failing straight away - of course that should not be happening.

Yeah, they can add something about the durability of the gaskets in their manual. Always nice to know. My company is doing similar stuff in manuals too, for good measure. But then, Pebble is still fairly new, so I wouldn't expect that they did durability testing to actually tell how long they would expect a feature to last.

Well, this thread is a bit old, but I thought I would respond for anyone that may still have interest. I have had my Pebble Time for almost a year. It only leaves my wrist to charge. It has been in pools, lakes, Hot tubs, and white water rafting with no issues. In fact the only issue I had was that while rafting I fell out of the boat and my full weight came down on the wrist band as they pulled me back in. I now have a Nato strap as I almost lost the watch to the river.

The only environmental sensitivity I have seen is to cold. While skiing I did notice a slight mottling to the screen which only happens when pretty cold and clears up immediately when warmed up.

Yes you can wear it in the shower, but i have read the article on water resistance and it says:

Both the original Pebble and Pebble Steel are water resistant up to 50m.
So feel free to wear your Pebble in the shower, in the rain, while doing dishes, or while fishing, swimming, snorkeling, whitewater rafting, etc. Just keep it above 50 meters and please also be aware that Pebble is only water-resistant as long as the seal remains in tact. For that reason, please do not press the buttons while Pebble is submerged.

I have pressed one of the buttons in the shower recently and the back button has stopped working.

What is really disappointing is that it didn’t say anything about that in the actual owners manual.

though it may have been the magnet on the charger.

I find it hard to believe this. Ambient room temperature is about 20 degrees. Body temperature is 35+ degrees. So a watch on a wrist is gonna be around 20 to 30 degrees anyway. Even a very hot shower is unlikely to be more than 40 degrees. Starts getting to scolding territory beyond that. So the maximum temperature difference even if sudden is around 10 to 20 degrees of change. That is hardly enough to crack a screen.

Glass and screens crack if you take temperatures that are below freezing and put extremely hot water on them (i.e. temperature differences of around 60 to 80 degrees).

I’ve taken my pebble for scuba diving and I have even developed an app for scuba divers search for “scubawatch” in the app store. I’ve taken it with my dives for at least one year, and it is still functioning perfectly.

Note that it is an old pebble, which according to the original specifications it can be taken down to 50m (5ATM). The newer models (Pebble 2, Time) can only be taken down to 30M (3ATM), and I wouldn’t dare take them scuba diving.

I wish Pebble would produce a sports version that can resist 10ATM and incorporates a pressure sensor. It would be awesome as a backup dive computer.

I have trusted it to long periods of my Pebble Time being sub merged in water in a pool for an hour or so, just don’t push the buttons when it’s submerged and you will be fine. This thing is tough!

I have worn a Pebble Steel numerous times while kayaking, including while practicing wet exits a dozen times or more. No problem. wish I could say the same for its companion iPhone that was in a waterproof case and sealed in a dry bag.

I never take my Pebble off (Pebble Time). It’s been body surfing with me in some pretty harsh waves, and goes in the shower with me at least once a day.

Along with these activities it’s been in a hot tub countless times, basic swimming in the ocean a good handful of times, and swimming in pools plenty!

I was afraid for the first week I had mine too, but the water proofing on the watch is what sold me, so I intend to take advantage of it. No problems yet and it’s been a year.

My pebble time is on my wirst 99% of the time (excepted for recharging it) So my pebbles had shower, regular 1500m sessions in swimming pool, spa sessions and sea baths… Everything is ok for over a year now (i am not sure when i switched from pebble to pebble time)

I don’t use my watch in the tub and I don’t go swimming, but after having had one Pebble time at first, I always dunk a new one (like the replacement I received yesterday) in a glass of water to see if it’s according to the promise.