How many people have trusted their pebble to water

jasonKenny said:
Swimming yes, shower...no. Doesn't it say something in the website about showering?

Sort of. From the getpebble.com FAQ

Q. Is it waterproof?
A. Pebble is rated at 5 ATM, tested for both fresh and saltwater. You can swim, go for a run in the rain or wash dishes with your Pebble. It’s not recommended to dive with Pebble, or expose it to hot water.

This wasn’t the original text, but it was amended to this just in case.

Related question on the subject of swimming. Has anyone used it in indoor pools? I’m thinking chlorine and other such chemicals they use to clean the water can’t really be good for the plastic.

I swam with my Pebble on a swimming pool last month, and so far the watch is still working fine with no signs of wear or chemical reactions on it.

It’s pretty awesome actually, (or maybe it was just because that’s my first time to wear a watch while swimming).

CaffeineJunkie said:
Sort of. From the getpebble.com FAQ
Q. Is it waterproof?
A. Pebble is rated at 5 ATM, tested for both fresh and saltwater. You can swim, go for a run in the rain or wash dishes with your Pebble. It's not recommended to dive with Pebble, or expose it to hot water.

This wasn't the original text, but it was amended to this just in case.

Just to follow up from what I’ve read from other watch makers, 5 ATM is really for surface swimming only. Even though 5 ATM is rated for a certain depth, the problem is that pressure underwater can change dramatically, rapidly by doing things like moving your arm quickly (ie, swimming underwater). What feels like 3 or 4 ATM at 10 feet deep, for example, can suddenly become 10 ATM when you push your arm rapidly back to swim.

I tend to be more skidish about dunking my expensive electronics in water so I don’t go swimming or showering with it myself, but it’s very encouraging to read that others have repeatedly (daily even) and had no problems with it.

I shower daily with it. Didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to? Waterproof means waterproof to me. If it can be submerged I say its fine in a shower. I dont know about you guys but I wont think twice about wearing my watch if it’s raining. Why not in the shower.

I have been in pools, showers (I don’t have the water particularly hot) and swimming around in the sea. So far my Pebble has proven itself to be adequately waterproof. I do not recommend climbing up a mountain with it though as the scratch proof claim is less reliable.

I actually learned the hard way that it really does hold up. I had my sump pump in my basement fail and had 3 inches of water in my basement. I stuck my hand down into the sump pump well, forgetting that I had my pebble on. After I remember, I pulled it out, and not one issue. The pebble held up great. Granted this wasn’t deep in a swimming pool or anything, but the pebble was completely submerged for a few minutes in water and had no problem whatsoever.

Oh and @Whacko, completely off topic, I prefer David Tennant.

I’ve showered, bathed, washed up, swam in a pool and in the sea (Caribbean sea) with no issues whatsoever.

I got my pebble from Best Buy at the very beginning of July and I’ve showered with it every day. I’ve spent quite a lot of time swimming with it as well. Last week my family was at Disney and we spent a day at the Typhoon Lagoon water park. I left my pebble on all day and it went down all the slides with me… again, no problems with leakage.

Water slide pebble! Should’ve made that into a pebble commercial.

I don’t really understand the desire to swim with a pebble on? You won’t have your phone on you swimming I’m sure, and bluetooth breaks signal pretty quick when you go underwater… Which pretty much leaves it’s function to time only. Shower makes more sense cause you could listen to music and you’re not submerged, but I wouldn’t risk it cause I take very hot showers…

For me, the water proofing is for when I get caught in the rain - I played 36 holes of disc golf in teh rain the other day (brutal) and the pebble was fine. Or for when I’m doing dishes, etc.

Actually, I did have my phone with me as well… I’ve got the LifeProof Nuud case for the iPhone 5 and my phone went down all the waterslides with me too. The phone wound up being quite useful because we had a baby with us, so someone stayed back in the shade with the baby and could reach us on the slides if something came up. We also happened to be at the waterpark last week Tuesday when Apple was announcing the iPhone 5C and 5S, so I was able to keep up with the keynote while I was waiting in lines. Plus I got a lot of great photos and videos on the slides and in the water.

That said, though, the water did definitely break the bluetooth connection between the phone and the watch and I didn’t bother doing the finger dance every time we got out of the water. The watch was there just to tell the time… but it does happen to be very good at that too;)

I use mine in the pool and ocean but only when im at the beach because if it ever did fall off I could most likely find it at the beach but in 30 ft of water its gone. I haven’t heard of any issues but as with anything I always rinse my pebble with fresh water after being in salt or chlorine just to be safe

Protonus said:
I don't really understand the desire to swim with a pebble on? You won't have your phone on you swimming I'm sure, and bluetooth breaks signal pretty quick when you go underwater... Which pretty much leaves it's function to time only. Shower makes more sense cause you could listen to music and you're not submerged, but I wouldn't risk it cause I take very hot showers...

For me, the water proofing is for when I get caught in the rain - I played 36 holes of disc golf in teh rain the other day (brutal) and the pebble was fine. Or for when I'm doing dishes, etc.
oh, the best example was already given: someone was on call, but wanted to go swimming. While he usually had to check his phone every few minutes, this time he could just leave it beside the pool and keep swimming with his pebble notifying him about incoming calls and messages.

Just went swimming with my Pebble today. I noticed that it vibrated a half a dozen times while I was in the pool, but there were no notifications. When I got out, the screen was messed up in an odd way. The watch face I was using has a graphic design that is black on a mostly white background. But now, wherever there was dark design, there seemed to be a dark shadow in the background. I was watching the watch in evening light and later with just the watch’s backlight. Same problem with two different lighting situation. There was also a bit of bluish colorization as with an oil film. I’ve looked at the images that others were describing as “mura” and I looked at my watch using this laptop’s screen for a light. “Mura” was not the effect I was seeing. It is not about four hours since I left the pool and the watch appears normal. So my best guess right now is that my particular watch is not really waterproof/resistant to anything close to 50 meters. It may be splash resistant at best.

Assuming I’m right, I may be fortunate to live in the Phoenix metro area. The eventing was warm an fairly dry so if a small bit of moisture leaked in, it may have been able to leave as well. I may give the watch another water test with camera ready to record the screen. Part of me doesn’t want to do this and just stay out of water. But the other part of me says that going swimming is exactly what you are supposed to be able to do with this watch on. So I shouldn’t have to be afraid of swimming ruining the watch.

PatrickVadasz said:
I was the dishwasher guy.
still works perfectly:)

out of curiosity…why??

Based on Wacko’s comment several day’s ago, I stopped wearing mine in the shower. This makes sense to me - this risk of a gradual deterioration instead of a catastrophic failure. And, I am not willing to give up warm showers for the sake of wearing the watch. After exercising, I do wash it off with tap water to remove any salts from perspiration that might build up over time.

whacko said:
TylerT said:
Why not in the shower.
. . . the rapid expansion and contraction that comes with exposing the Pebble to warm water will also cause the gasket seals around the buttons to deteriorate more quickly, which can impair the watch's water resistance.

I swim with mine all the time. No problem.

Just like every watch that preceded it (mostly Timex IronMan models), I have showered with my Pebble on my wrist everyday since I received my Kickstarter model back in mid-February. I also swim with it at least once per week & most of the time several days per week . . . no problems whatsoever. To be clear, I am not oblivious to the risks. However, I have fully accepted responsibility for any risks & I will likewise accept any consequences that may result through my actions. I certainly will NOT be blaming Pebble in the event of any future failures !!

Mark J Culross (KD5RXT)

mjculross@sbcglobal.net

I have snorkelled with mine several times. Diving down 10+ metres and no issue.