Pebble 2 broken button

Hi all - I got a Pebble 2 as a present 9 months ago, and inexplicably, the button on the top right hand side of the watch pinged off and upon closer examination had cracked. Smart phone shops won’t repair, Pebble has been bought out by Fitbit, who won’t offer any advice. So I can’t get a part. I really like the watch, and am loath to throw away a 9 month old present. So can anyone advise me as per my options?

Maybe the option is the 3d print. Look a reddit pebble or pebble discord

This just happened to me as well. Hadn’t noticed any tear in the buttons, then last night the bottom one just fell off:

Before it fell off, it looked just like the other two. It might have looked slightly worn out, but if so not at a noticeable level.

Apparently other people are having this issue as well. Here’s a photo from this post on reddit, from September 2017:

…here’s another from this other reddit post, from November 2017:

…and here’s a post from the iFixit forums, from January 2018.

So it seems to be quite a common problem, affecting people who are not using their watches in any particularly damaging way (such as pressing the buttons with the fingernails, showering with the watch, etc.) I suspect the material used for the side of the watch is simply reaching the end of its useful life, and more people will start getting this problem over time.

The workaround that seems to be mentioned most often in these discussions is, as @Michael87 says, 3D-printing the files included here:

Quoting a comment in one of the reddit threads linked above:

This particular item can be printed for as low as two to five dollars! And this small item can be shipped over long distances for pennies (…). If you live outside US, you could use Forwarding Service (with Airmail) such as Shipito. Should be able to get the whole thing for around ten dollars.

Update: I looked at the options for ordering a print of the 3D design at Thingiverse, but it seemed to be actually a mold for the actual final shape, which would then have to be created using silicone or some other rubbery material. I have zero experience with all this, and the entire process seemed too convoluted and potentially error-prone for an amateur like me, so I decided to think about different approaches.

One option that occurred to me was to use some sort of glue to fix the button back into place, but it seems like silicone cannot be glued, and instead special chemical bonding agents need to be used to cure silicone parts together. Not only that, but even though my button luckily came off in one piece, the area I’d have to apply the bonding coating would be very small (just the thin border around the hole), so it’s quite likely that the result would not be very robust.

Eventually I came up with a workaround that I hope will work well enough: I used a small rubber piece I had laying around (it had fallen off from a laptop’s base) and simply cut it to a size that would make it fit tightly in the button’s hole. It turns out I was lucky that the width and thickness of the rubber piece were pretty much the right ones to fit snuggly in the hole, so I only had to cut it to match the depth of the hole. Here’s the final result: