Swing by Swing Golf

Hi all,

I’m a founder of Swing by Swing Golf, and I’m darn proud of our Pebble integration.

Our Pebble integration is free for everybody, and allows you to use the power of the app right on your wrist. You can see distance, track shots, and enter score. I walk an entire 18 holes, and take my phone out of my pocket very rarely these days.

Give it a shot, and let me know what you think :slight_smile:

If you have questions, or problems, feel free to post 'em here and I will reply.

Travis Giggy

Hey Travis,

How long does it take for you guys to add a course. I registered a new course earlier this week and haven’t heard back. I can add all of the yardages, but I need to be able to access the course to do that. I am playing there tomorrow and I want to use my pebble.

The course is Wedgewood Cove in Albert Lea, MN.

Hi Mac,

Sorry for the delay - golf season just hit like a ton of bricks, and we’re a man down in the support department.

You should have gotten an email from me with the url to add the scorecard and plot the holes. Let me know if you have questions!

Travis

Waiting on my Pebble Steel, which has shipped and should be here Thursday.

I use Swing by Swing on my iPhone and was wondering if you were planning to show F/M/B distances at some point?

Really helps to know all three.

Clark

Hi Clark -

Sorry to say,

We only show distance to the middle of the green on the Pebble. To get the front/back distance, you need to open the app and click on the flag - we zoom in and show arcs over the green view.

I actually picked up a Pebble primarily as a rangefinder / stroke counter (with the added benefit that it is a full smart watch, compared to dedicated golf watches like the Garmin). I had the opportunity to try Swing by Swing out on Saturday. First impressions, it’s a solid app that seemed to track distances very accurately. The Pebble crashed perhaps twice in 18 holes, but jumping right back into the app wasn’t difficult. And it is seriously much quicker clicking a button on a watch rather than pulling out a phone on each stroke, especially with all the initiatives to increase rate of play, but with the flexibility to pull out the phone to get an overview of the hole.

The one part I couldn’t figure out on the course was the procedure to count strokes on the watch, where the Youtube video (which is otherwise great) was unclear. I think I need to click at both the beginning and end of each stroke (which I will try this weekend when I’m on the course), but can anyone confirm the procedure? Here’s how I think it goes, on an example par 4, 2 putt bogie:

1. Walk to tee box, click bottom button to start shot [screen shows Starting]. Hit.
2. Walk to ball. Click [Ending]. Click again [Starting, i.e. the second shot]. Hit second shot.
3. Walk to ball. Click [Ending]. Click again [Starting]. Chip onto green.
4. Walk to green. Click (?). Putt twice. Select “Bogie 2 Putt” while walking off the green.

This may or may not be right, but I’ll give it a go on Saturday. But in any case, so far an accurate and convenient program! I’m extremely glad I got the Pebble instead of a dedicated golf watch (because of all the added functionality). Apparently Swing-by-Swing also offers added analysis such as average distance by club (awesome) in their Looper package, and at $15 a year, a very good deal. Thanks guys!

I am getting inconsistent times when the scoring page will show up. Seemed to work for a few holes, then stopped coming up.

In the video it states that it should come up when you are within 30 yards of the green. I made sure I had it paired as I approached the green but it wasn’t consistent.

Would love to have a button push to just call it up. It could go on the same screen where you have the ability to move to the next or previous hole. Just another option.

When the scoring wouldn’t come up, I would pull out my phone and enter it there. The would prompt the watch to allow you to score also. Weird.

Overall, I love the integration between my iPhone and the Pebble. Nice not having to pull my phone out all the time.

Clark

That’s a great idea of putting the scoring screen on the next / previous hole menu. I had the opposite problem that you had this weekend, I would be up for a short approach from the bunker (quite a few times… it was one of those weekends), and it would already be on the scoring screen, meaning I wouldn’t be able to track my short clubs. Being able to manually bring up (or maybe cancel) the scoring menu would help.

Clark, were you ending your shot as you stood on the green? That brought up the scoring menu for me 100%.

mike

Hey guys,

Thanks for the notes and reviews!

I also think a third option on the hole switch menu is appropriate. I’ll see if I can talk the devs into making that happen.

The culprit of scoring not popping up is sometimes our fault (poor map, unresponsive app) sometimes the phones fault (not picking up current location, running slow) and sometimes the Pebble’s fault (Bluetooth sucks).

In every case, I think the extra menu option is a good solution for all those less-than-ideal situations.

Mike - we don’t actually count individual strokes with the pebble. You still need to count those in your head and input when the hole is over. The tracking function is just to measure how far you hit a shot - if you’re a Looper member, all that data is stored into your account and you can get club stats and suggestions.

Thanks again guys - we will keep trying to make this integration better. Happy that you’re getting some use out of it!

Travis

Ah that makes sense, I guess I should have figured when it asks for the strokes and putts on the scoring page.

BTW, I think the program as a whole is excellent, and these additions would just fine-tune the experience. I picked up Looper before my round on Saturday, and the stats, avg club distances, and shots overlaid on the course map to review afterwards is extraordinary. I showed it to my Garmin watch wearing partners, and they were amazed. Thanks again!

mike

That’s great! We will convert all those afraid-of-innovation old fogeys pretty soon! :slight_smile:

Mike31 said:
That's a great idea of putting the scoring screen on the next / previous hole menu. I had the opposite problem that you had this weekend, I would be up for a short approach from the bunker (quite a few times... it was one of those weekends), and it would already be on the scoring screen, meaning I wouldn't be able to track my short clubs. Being able to manually bring up (or maybe cancel) the scoring menu would help.

Clark, were you ending your shot as you stood on the green? That brought up the scoring menu for me 100%.

mike

Mike,

I rarely track iron shots into the green, so I just take the pebble out of the Waiting mode (or whatever it is call) and reconnect as I get closer to the green. I only get the “score entry” screen about 30% of the time.

I don’t find that measuring irons via GPS of great value. I rarely have a distance that would add value to the distance stats (i.e. hitting a 9 iron to a green that is 160, but downhill inflates the average).

I used the pebble and SbS this weekend while golfing. Issues with the servers on Monday made the app useless for my second nine. The pebble and SbS errored out several times and I actually got to the point that the pebble went into recovery mode while on the course (not a happy camper).

Feels to me like both the pebble and the app is unstable at this point.

Hey guys,

Sorry about the poor performance on Monday. We got slammed, and a bit of untested code was dragging our database server to the ground. Took us a few hours to identify what was wrong and fix it up. Hopefully won’t be an issue again.

We will be releasing a big upgrade to both iPhone and Android today/tomorrow, and it includes a few tweaks to the Pebble communication. This won’t much affect the way Pebble behaves with SBS, but the app itself is improved in usability and reliability. I will put some extra resources into Pebble stability within the next couple of weeks - look for that coming soon.

Finally, thanks a lot for caring - it feels good to know that people are using the stuff we build. Now it’s on me to make it good enough for you :slight_smile:

Travis

Travis,

That is great to hear…

I really do like the SbS app, independent of the pebble. The pebble experience just makes it better.

The idea of the pebble being your screen while the phone is your communication/intelligence is perfect.

I think I only needed to look at the phone screen three or four times (outside of score entry) to see carry yardages (I was playing a course I don’t play often).

Still wish the pebble had back and front yardages, but I understand why it doesn’t.

If you golf and have a pebble and smart phone, SbS is what you want.

Clark

That is great to hear. I believe that once the Pebble-app interaction is smoothed out and made rock solid, this will be the most functional golf app in terms of usability and post-round information reporting.

Thanks for the update.
Mike

SBS v4.4 is in the wild :slight_smile: if you get a chance to give some more feedback, it would be much appreciated.

Travis,

Got it and will try tomorrow. Will provide feedback once I have tried it out.

Travis,

Did the Pebble app change with the update…I still see version 1.1.2 and the updated date of March 19th

Clark

Pebble app did not change. Only the SBS app was updated. Pebble update should be coming soon.

Tried your app on 2 occasions.

Issue I have is it is not switching to scoring mode when I am on the green.
Additionally, it often is reading medium or bad gps signal and giving poor readings.
It is a clear sunny day and trying a number of other golf apps gives me no such issues.