Swing by Swing Golf

Mitch Stendel said:
Tried your app on 2 occasions.
Issue I have is it is not switching to scoring mode when I am on the green.
Additionally, it often is reading medium or bad gps signal and giving poor readings.
It is a clear sunny day and trying a number of other golf apps gives me no such issues.

I see the same issue with it not going into scoring mode on the pebble near the green, even with the new version that was just released.

I would check your power settings for GPS accuracy. The power setting will affect how often the GPS refreshes, if I understand it correctly.

I am surprised how fast SbS uses battery on my iPhone 5S.

Think I may need to play with the settings a little to see if I can change how fast it consumes the battery.

Clark

Thanks for the help Clark :slight_smile: Be sure and lock your phone in-between shots - the screen uses more juice than the GPS does.

Mitch -

We give users a lot of control over their power settings. And, based on which power setting you choose, your GPS will update faster or slower. And, based on how fast your GPS updates, will determine how fast/accurate the switch from GPS view to Score Entry view will be. And, based on the app’s switch to Score Entry mode will (usually) determine when the Pebble switches to the same.

…which is all probably too much detail. Sorry.

Will you please check to see what your app’s power setting is on? Click “ME”, "Settings, “App Settings”, "Power Usage"

Let me know that, and also what kind of phone you are using, and the app version you have installed - thanks :slight_smile:

Travis,

This may not be the right place to ask but what kind of “data” usage does the phone need to have during the round?

My concern is that some courses I play are out in the middle of nowhere (live in Northern Minnesota where the moose outnumber the people) and have poor data connectivity.

One of the things that drew me to SbS was the pre-cached maps.

I was wondering if searching for data connectivity due to the SbS could be causing a drain since I didn’t encounter it when I used GolfLogix or SkyDroid.

Again…I really like the implementation of SbS and it’s use of the Pebble as the “screen” of the device.

Clark

Thanks for the help Clark :) Be sure and lock your phone in-between shots - the screen uses more juice than the GPS does.

Mitch -

We give users a lot of control over their power settings. And, based on which power setting you choose, your GPS will update faster or slower. And, based on how fast your GPS updates, will determine how fast/accurate the switch from GPS view to Score Entry view will be. And, based on the app's switch to Score Entry mode will (usually) determine when the Pebble switches to the same.

...which is all probably too much detail. Sorry.

Will you please check to see what your app's power setting is on? Click "ME", "Settings, "App Settings", "Power Usage"

Let me know that, and also what kind of phone you are using, and the app version you have installed - thanks :)

I had the GPS set on medium high power mode.
My other golf GPS app had no issues with yardages at same location.

Also the not switching to scoring view is a real issue. Would be nice to have option to manually enter scoring view

Oh and my phone is a galaxy note 3

Well tried the new Android update. Same issue.
Of first 6 holes only 2 switched to scoring screen when on the green.
This in spite of the gps showing good and less than 20 yards.
This needs to be fixed.
As such this app is a disappointment. It does not pick up good readings from the satellite and scoring mode doesn’t work most of the time.
For now will go with freecaddie.
It works giving me 3 yardages to the green and had been more reliable.

Unfortunately, I agree with Mitch Stendel. I spend too much time trying to enter my score, get to the scoring screen, get the app onto the correct hole and generally fooling around with my Pebble and/or app. (I have an iPhone 5, Pebble original and keep GPS on medium high power mode). Manual entry of score would be a great option

@Mitch Stendel - Does freecaddie allow you to keep score on your Pebble?

@ Lawrenmel Freecaddie DOES have a scorecard .

Freecaddie in the paid version allows score entry but from the phone app only not the pebble.

I think GolfPad is best of the bunch but there is a 15$ premium.
Right now waiting RMA as my 10 day old pebble fritzed…

Hi all, sorry for the silence. Just got back from vacation.

Clark, re. data usage: Some of my family grew up around Oakley and Thief River Falls. The app will use around 30 megs of data for a full round of golf if you don’t have any of the map tiles cached. To cache map tiles, check out this help doc. And, yes, searching for a data signal when using any app will cause the battery to drain more quickly. Not much I can do about that. But, you might look into an external battery if it’s a real issue - they are cheap and easy to find these days.

Everybody else: We have recently added a bit of optimization code to the latest version of Android, and submitted the same to be released for iPhone. So if you have an Android, please update to latest and try it out. If you have an iPhone, we should be live in 4-5 days.

We are also updating the Pebble app itself to include the “Enter Score” option in the menu. That should be out around the time the iPhone version is released.

I’m sure it still won’t be perfect - but we’re hopefully making it better all the time.

Travis

Travis,

I see that you only cache map tiles for 24 hours which means you need to revisit the course just before playing. In some areas, where cell signal is poor (western isles of Scotland!) this causes some difficulty. In addition, I don’t have readily access to WiFi either, so is there a way to make this a customisable thing - how long to keep map tiles?

Thanks,
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Our old app only cached for 24 hours, due to Google terms of service with native maps api. Our new app (v4+) will cache for much longer, like 30 days. You might have been reading some old info?

Travis

Travis, your comment from June 14 stated that the app caches for only 24 hours. Is the v4 version of the app already out?

Sorry about that guys - the help doc needed to be updated. I changed the text slightly. Version 4+ will cache images for longer than 24 hours - they should stay cached for 30 or more days.

When do you expect the updated Pebble app to be released (containing “the “Enter Score” option in the menu”)?

We have a mod that need to be made to the native app in order to accommodate this (seemingly simple, but apparently not simple) change. We are busy integrating Google Wear and Sony Smartwatch now, and expect it all to be released together, in around 2-ish weeks. (But in my world, 2 weeks is an eternity, so could be longer if something important pops up. Will try to keep to the schedule)

Last Thursday was my 2nd round with SBS and my Pebble. I really do like the app but am definitely looking forward to the “Enter Score” option on the Pebble itself. Unlike the first time, this time I found that the app had a hard time discerning that I was even on the green. I could stand mid-green on many holes and still have the app tell me I’m 8 or so yards off the green. I noticed it happened occasionally the first time I played with SBS and the Pebble but this last time it seemed to do that on every hole/green.

One mitigating factor I should include is that between my first round with SBS (about three weeks ago) and this last round, I got a new HTC One (M7) as a replacement for the one I had a couple weeks ago. It got RMA’d in-between. Not sure if that could make a difference or not.

@Travis05 – Have you released an update to the Pebble app that makes scoring easier?

Thanks.

Hi.

I really like this app and specially the function to use it with the Pebble.
I´ve hade som connection issues between the phone and the watch though. Sometimes the app crashes but I´ve managed to pick up my round after a while. Maybe this will be more stable in the future.

One thing that concerns though is the club tracker function. At the first tee i choose the driver and then end the shot when I get to the ball. But when doing this again at the second shot or shots later on I don´t get the option to choose club, it just starts tracking my shot without knowing which club I´m using. Anyway to fix this?

Thanx.

SuzanneSchiller said:
@Travis05 -- Have you released an update to the Pebble app that makes scoring easier?

Thanks.

Hi Suzanne -

I just walked a test round with the update this morning. It should just be a few days in the hands of our Beta testers before we submit it to the app store for approval.