Swing by Swing Golf

Johan Holmberg said:
One thing that concerns though is the club tracker function. At the first tee i choose the driver and then end the shot when I get to the ball. But when doing this again at the second shot or shots later on I don´t get the option to choose club, it just starts tracking my shot without knowing which club I´m using. Anyway to fix this?

Hi Johan - This is very interesting. I’ve not ever seen this problem. It sounds like the watch is recognizing your Looper membership with the first shot track, but not subsequent ones. Let’s get it fixed up! Please get in touch with us via http://help.swingbyswing.com and we will troubleshoot the problem. Be sure and include information about your Pebble software version, Phone software version, and SBS version.

-Travis

@Travis, just picked up my pebble watch a few days ago, and love the SbS app for the phone. I see that people are having the same issues with scoring screen as I am seeing. This has been a month + since you mentioned integration of this option. Can you let us know how this is coming along? I really love this app, and love the usability I have in the golf course. I also keep getting a “wake” option on the watch, which clears out for a few seconds by clicking the center button. Do you know what this is about? I am usually getting around medium to good signal (I think that’s what that stands for).

Thanks for the ability to use GPS on our wrist, just looking for a fine tune version of app, and this will be gold.

Hi Victor,

We just submitted a new version of the app to Apple, and it should go live in about 5 days. (if the past is any indicator)

We fine tuned it just a little bit, but the major mod is to add a “Enter Score” option to manually switch to the score entry mode.

The WAKE message that you see is designed to save battery. After 30 seconds, the active connection between the watch and phone goes to sleep, and doesn’t re-activate until you click the center button. I suggest that you click the center button as you walk up to your location - that will give the watch a little bit of time to connect and update the distance.

Thanks for using SBS!

Travis

I really like your app. I’m looking forward to being able to press a button to go,into scoring. Right now scoring only comes up about half the time. I have a case that holds my iphone sideways. Sometimes when I put it in the case it goes to a summary. When it does this scoring mode does not work on the pebble. Also I would like to be able to select what it tracks.
The only thing I care about is score and maybe putts. The rest is a waste of time.

New problem. Currently running SbS version 4.4.4 on an HTC One (M7) with Android 4.4.2. My Pebble is running whatever is the latest version of their firmware.

I went to start playing a round last night and I was seeing no distances on my Pebble. When I would start the round, the Pebble would show the “wake” screen. I’d push the button to wake the app and instead of yardage, the Pebble would display “–”. I tried restarting SbS. I tried starting a new round. I tried unloading and reloading the Pebble app. I tried deleting the Pebble app and re-installing it from the Pebble app store. Nothing worked.

Suggestions on what I should do next? I was really disappointed that this happened.

On the plus side, I did see the “Enter Score” option. :smiley:

@Travis,

Played another round of golf, and was pleased to see the score option.

It was kinda buggy (I think) most of the time. I believe the integration of the pebble watch, and GPS from phone is still a little off, close but still off. I noticed this on my last round of golf, my phone would have full bars, full 4G LTE coverage, but the watch and phone were having issues relaying information back and forth. I would have to pull my phone out every hole to enter hole, and re-push information back to watch. I will try this a few more rounds and provide more feedback. All in all, I think this is going in the right direction, and as always thanks for the great app and such! As an FYI, I live in South Florida, and coverage down here is EXCELLENT.

One more question. I am using the standard free version of the app, as I am a newbie to this app. What are the advantages of moving up to the looper version of app?

Thanks again SbS and awesome job with the support for this,

Victor

Hi Joseph - we’re aware of the new bug, and are working to get it solved within the next few days. It doesn’t happen to everybody, so we’re having a bit of a hard time tracking it down… but will work it out asap. Sorry about the problem…

Hi Victor - thanks for the update. It is very unlikely that we will be able to work out these phone<>watch communications problems. It’s a baseline issue, below the level of software that we’re able to touch. I have the same problems with even the most basic Pebble functions like texts and emails. We are aware of a bug that was recently introduced on the Android platform, and are working to lock it down.

Travis said:
Hi Joseph - we're aware of the new bug, and are working to get it solved within the next few days. It doesn't happen to everybody, so we're having a bit of a hard time tracking it down... but will work it out asap. Sorry about the problem...

Thanks for the reply, Travis. Glad to know you guys are already aware and working on it. I’m fine just dealing with it all from the phone for now.

Hi Travis,
Just played my first round on my new pebble (not steel) and have the same problem as Joseph. My phone is a Galaxy S4 using Android 4.4.2. Thx

Hi Travis,

I am working with the founders of a hunting & fishing app called ScoutLook. I would call it the hunting and fishing equivalent of Swing by Swing and we are starting to build a significant user base across all of the smartphone apps. I was hoping you might have a few minutes to chat via email or phone. If so, please connect with me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tim-fisher/5/6a8/57a

Kind Regards,

Tim

I had the same issue this weekend with distances sometimes not showing on the Pebble. This coupled with somewhat frequent crashes on the Pebble.

Also could we get the “Cancel Shot in Progress” back to the menu screen? There are times when I hit a good iron shot or chip onto the green, where I’ll get the enter score screen. Then the next chance I get to end the previous shot is the tee box of the next hole, where I’d like to cancel.

Thanks!
mike

I finally had a chance to try out the latest version of the app with my Pebble. I am getting yardages on the Pebble again, so that was good to see.

A couple of issues that came up for me:

1. After entering the score, etc. through the Pebble, I had to always go into the app on the phone and select “Save and Continue” to advance to the next hole. Not sure if this is by design or not.

2. I found it annoying that the Pebble would go into score entering mode even when I was a reasonable distance from the green that I would still want to see yardage (e.g., 20+ yds). I didn’t want to go digging through the help in the middle of my round, but if I hit the button on the left side of the Pebble, would it have returned me to the yardage view?

Hi all,

The “–” yardage issue should be fixed. We pushed that for Android a week ago.

I’ve never experienced the “Save and Continue” bug. Can you verify that this is what is happening? >

* You get close to the green and watch auto-switches to score entry.
* You use the watch to enter score
* You see the “hole” view, but no yardage is displayed
* You take out the phone, unlock it, see the score entry still on-screen, and click "Save and Continue"

Sound about right?

Exactly right, Travis.

Joseph - will you please send an email to us via http://help.swingbyswing.com, so we can dig deeper? Not sure what causes this issue, unfortunately. We’ll need to troubleshoot.

Travis, I have just purchased my Pebble and linked it to my iPhone 6, on using for first time today, I have been having a problem in that when i enter my score which includes, bunker shots, penalties etc all is well until i then look at iPhone and it has jumped a hole so putting info into pebble for hole 10, is all recorded ok but when i look at iPhone the next hole displayed is 12 and not 11, so have to keep going back a hole on i phone.
Also is there a way of just entering on pebble the total score without putting all the other info in i.e. bunkers etc.

S. Ashley said:
Travis, I have just purchased my Pebble and linked it to my iPhone 6, on using for first time today, I have been having a problem in that when i enter my score which includes, bunker shots, penalties etc all is well until i then look at iPhone and it has jumped a hole so putting info into pebble for hole 10, is all recorded ok but when i look at iPhone the next hole displayed is 12 and not 11, so have to keep going back a hole on i phone.
Also is there a way of just entering on pebble the total score without putting all the other info in i.e. bunkers etc.
Hi S. Ashley,

That sounds like a pain in the rear - sorry.

I have not tried the Pebble with iPhone 6 yet, so will need to be able to replicate in order to fix. Will you please send an email via http://help.swingbyswing.com so we can walk through the troubleshooting process with you?

Hey Travis,

I used SbS and my pebble for the first time today and it was awesome. It really made my round easier in several ways.

One question though…when I was looking at the display on the pebble during the round, it would show a “Good” or “Bad” message just above the yardage. What is that actually referring to? I assume it’s indicating what sort of GPS signal my phone is getting, but I wasn’t sure and I can’t seem to find any explanation of the different pebble screens/messages you can see while using the app. (that’s a hint, you should add something to your help pages that has screen shots of the different screens :slight_smile: )

Thanks,
-Scott J.

Hi Scott - you are absolutely correct. The Good/Bad message is an indicator of GPS signal strength coming from your phone. Good call on adding those screen shots to the help pages - will get that done!

Well I have played four rounds with SBS and my pebble and I have a 50% fail rate with the app crashing and making the pebble useless. I had high hopes for the combo but now I may just have to go back to paper and pencil for tracking scores and pacing off garages. Too bad.