Windows Phone 8 - Pebble App

All,

Hello I’ve tried to update to the latest firmware stepping through the list in “PWP” my Pebble (Black) is stuck in recovery Mode v1…5.5. (RECOVERY MODE: PAIR WITH PHONE and displays THE HOST NAME) the PWP application is active and paired although when connecting it reverts back to Paired.

I am unable to reset the watch after resetting PWP or restarting the Bluetooth, and advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Lumia 630/Windows 8.1/PebbleWatch Black

@Greg Banta said:

PWP does work on Windows 10 mobile. It only works while it is the foreground app. It will not work if it is not in the foreground. When in the foreground, you can install firmware updates, install watchapps, remove watchapps, you can control the music player on your phone, you can get notifications for calendar events, twitter tweets and DMs from your twitter account, your can get weather notifications, network notifications when you lose all access to the data network, battery notifications when your phone’s battery drops below 50%. PWP will also update the Timeline on your watch after the first 90 seconds now.>

Hi Greg! What do you mean by timeline will update after 90 seconds? And what means “auto update pebble time” in pwp settings?

Thanks for great app and keep it up!

@Russell Smith Try removing the Pebble pairing on your phone. Pair it again and make sure you do NOT use the LE Bluetooth option. If that is all you see, on your phone, turn Bluetooth off then on. You should see Pebble XXXX with out the LE option. Once it is paired, try starting PWP and see if it connects. If it does not connect then stop PWP and start it again. (Bluetooth is not very consistent.)

When your start PWP if it connects, give it 30 - 60 seconds. It should be able to detect you are running recovery firmware and give you the option to install new firmware.

Let me know how this goes. Good luck!

Artti Aston said:

Hi Greg! What do you mean by timeline will update after 90 seconds? And what means "auto update pebble time" in pwp settings?

Thanks for great app and keep it up!

Auto update pebble time means, every time you start PWP set the time on the Pebble to the same time on the phone automatically. The reason for this if someone does not want the time on their Pebble to change when they cross time zones it won't. I would think 99% of Pebble users would always want their Pebble to keep the time updated.

The Timeline is a feature on the Pebble Time, Pebble Time Steel, Pebble Time Round and now any Pebble running the 3.x firmware that can show upcoming appointments and weather forecasts .

If the options are selected to update it under Timeline in the config section of PWP, 90 seconds after you start PWP it will send all the future appointments on your phone to the Timeline on your Pebble. Also you can optionally send weather forecasts to the Timeline which will show you the expected temperature and weather conditions up to 4 times a day.

The Timeline goes out 2 to 3 days in the future. This is really great for PWP users because PWP does not need to be running to view this info on your Pebble after it is updated.

Greg thanks for a great app so far.

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the Microsoft beta xap so I can try it out?

Greg, Thanks ever so much for your reply and courteous help, Yes I needed to “hold in the left, and top and center right button in for 30 to 40 seconds for the Pebble to reload clean recovery firmware first.” I have now got back to 2.9.1 but the Recovery Firmware has failed again V3R3 3.8.0.R, so I can’t go above that, the phone updates then times out.

Russell Smith said:
Greg, Thanks ever so much for your reply and courteous help, Yes I needed to "hold in the left, and top and center right button in for 30 to 40 seconds for the Pebble to reload clean recovery firmware first." I have now got back to 2.9.1 but the Recovery Firmware has failed again V3R3 3.8.0.R, so I can't go above that, the phone updates then times out.
Hi Russell, I am sorry this is not going smoother. I did send you a couple of emails. If worst case PWP is not working you could always download the Official Pebble Time app on an IOS or Android device and use it to install the V3 Recovery Firmware and the 3.82 Pebble Firmware. I know this is not a great solution but I hate that my other recommendation you have tried has not worked.

Greg Banta said:

If the options are selected to update it under Timeline in the config section of PWP, 90 seconds after you start PWP it will send all the future appointments on your phone to the Timeline on your Pebble. Also you can optionally send weather forecasts to the Timeline which will show you the expected temperature and weather conditions up to 4 times a day.

The Timeline goes out 2 to 3 days in the future. This is really great for PWP users because PWP does not need to be running to view this info on your Pebble after it is updated.

Thanks Greg! But as I see, PWP dont work on backgroud at all? even for timeline events, like wheather and appointments? Is there a app for autostart given apps (PWP) few times a day or how can we get it to work. I really enjoy windows 10 mobile and phone also and I dont want to abandon Pebble also.

@Artti Aston - PWP was written for Windows Phone 8 and is unfortunately limited to what was allowed at that time,

I am not aware of an app that can auto-start other apps on W10M but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I am working on an app that can run in the background on WP8.1 Update 1 and W10M . This app should be able to provide notifications from the background but I am just at the start of it. I am not sure when I will have anything to report or what obstacles I might run into, I realize a lot of users want this functionality. I might be able to add background Timeline updates at that time.

Honestly, after the firmware update, I think the most important thing was to have an app with access to notifications, right now my pebble seems just another clock, precisely because it does nothing more than show the hours, is not practical as we have in the PWP. Nevertheless, I congratulate the effort made.

Is still an good product for the time in which it was designed, but honestly I think it’s a waste of time to continue to update the PWP without some major features.

Cristiano - I agree with you in principle.

Unfortunately Pebble releases the 3.8.0 firmware update in mid-December and I got 7 emails the same day from existing PWP users who want to know when they can upgrade. I spent most of my free time since then, including my 2 week PTO, trying to get the firmware upgrade working. Getting the upgrade working includes making sure it can be reversed if they want to go back to 2.9.1. When Pebble threw in the requirement to install the new Recovery Firmware first that really slowed things down. I had never been able to do that before and it took a long time to get it to work mostly reliably. The new firmware required changes to the way the time was updated, notifications were sent and apps installed.

When Pebble released the Pebble Time last spring, I spent 2 months getting that working at all and another month squashing bugs and getting the Timeline updates working. Then they released the Pebble Time Round in November and that killed that month.

I support 5 different Pebble Models, (Classic Pebble, Pebble Steel, Pebble Time, Pebble Time Steel and Pebble Time Round) I host and support firmware for a dozen versions of firmware for the Classic and Pebble Steel. I host and support a few each for the Time, Time Steel and Time Round. Every Pebble gets different versions of the firmware There are 4 different types of apps that get installed depending on the Pebble.

I need to test every thing so no one bricks their Pebble while doing my best to fix bugs with PWP as they get reported.

The vast majority of my support comes from the frequency Pebble releases new devices and firmware updates.

I have a full time software engineering job with a large company who considers overtime to be the priority not any side work., I have a side business of 19 years with a huge warehouse and a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of inventory I need to sell. I work on the Pebble software after that. Oh and I actually sleep almost 7 hours a day.

I really want to get to new important features like notifications. I been trying to do this for a couple of years but I also feel I cannot let down the users who purchased PWP.

I know I have an update I need to do to get background worker processes running so apps like Morpheuz and the Compass apps work correctly. I know I have 4 or 5 other minor fixes to do as well. Hopefully after that I can start on the background notifications.

This was NOT a rant against you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

@“Greg Banta” -
I understand and I have no problem with that, in fact I also bought the app.

Anyway, as a PWP user I think it would be more interesting to have these new features. Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m also a programmer and I totally understand what you’re saying.

Regards

@Greg Banta -
Just wanted to agree with @Cristiano that running the app in the background and getting notifications working in background (especially Call and SMS) is what is most important to me too as a PWP user. That’s actually the main reason I just bought a pebble. To get call and sms notifications. I did know from the beginning that there was no support for it on WP through your app, but I have faith it will come one day :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work! I really appreciate that there is a functioning pebble app for WP!

Regards

@Cristiano - Thank you and I do agree. I need to get background notifications going. They are actually what I am most interested in. I still think I have one more small update to get out to PWP before I can turn fully to notifications.

@Relnah - Thank you as well. I really do listen to what everybody wants and for me number one is notifications. Unfortunately, that can not be in PWP because PWP is a WP8 Silverlight app and the notifications require a WP8.1 Update 1 or WP10 WinRT app. The good thing is that by not needing to copy all the code of PWP over and converting it to WinRT I may be able to move faster on a background app that only needs to do the notifications.. They both should be able to co-exists.

and Greg thank you for your assistance in resolving my Firmware issues…

Russell Smith said:
and Greg thank you for your assistance in resolving my Firmware issues...
Your welcome! Thank you for your patience.....

@Greg Banta said:
lostlogik said:

Anyone else get “please update the pebble app on your phone. v2.0 or later is required” after notifications?

I can explain this. When the Pebble connects with the phone, the Pebble request some information about the version of the phone app and what version of the firmware it was written for. When the phone replies with the 1.x application string the Pebble displays this message. In other words, this app was probably developed in the 1.x firmware timeframe and does not send the correct initialization bytes to the Pebble 2.x firmware. It’s an easy fix, if you have the source code…

Hi,
I recently got a Pebble Steel. I am using a Lumia 950XL.
I have a version of the MS Pebble Notifications as well as Pebble Timer and Pebble Watch Pro (paid).
I upgraded to firmware 3.8 using Pebble Watch Pro but lost the ability to use Pebble Notifications. I downgraded to 2.9.1 and am back connecting to Pebble Notifications but now get the error message.
I look forward to Pebble Watch Pro being developed so that it runs in the background and sends emails to the watch, but in the meantime is there an ‘updated’ MS Pebble Notifications that doesn’t stimulate the “please update the pebble app on your phone. v2.0 or later is required” message?

Thanks

Ian

I’ll guessing that the Pebble is unable to pull weather codes from PWP? Or is it a problem with the watchface I’m using?

HemiRobo said:
I'll guessing that the Pebble is unable to pull weather codes from PWP? Or is it a problem with the watchface I'm using?

The Pebble watch faces that include weather require the phone app to be able to run downloaded JavaScript to be able to get that weather and send it back to the watch. Microsoft does not allow third party apps like PWP to run the downloaded JavaScript. So in general watch faces with weather will not work. The exceptions are the weather watch faces downloaded from inside PWP (not the Pebble App Store). These watch faces have had C# code for a few weather watch faces that emulate what the JavaScript would send to the Pebble. There are anywhere between one and a dozen depending on which Pebble you have an what the version of firmware on the Pebble is. PWP needs to be running to provide the weather to the watch face.

Thanks, that’s good to know.

I hate to be asking so many questions, but is there a way to download OG Pebble apps on the Pebble Time through PWP? PWP is telling me I have the wrong Pebble but apparently OG apps will work on the Time? Would I have to borrow an iPhone or Android phone from my family in order to download the app?

Also, there’s a small typo in the message, after telling me my Pebble is incompatible, it says to use a “differnt one…”