Windows Phone 8 - Pebble App

@HemiRobo - You can ask all the questions you want and I will do my best to answer them.

A Pebble .pbw file may contain up to four different types of apps. If the root directory contains a manifest file then the app is compiled for an original Pebble or Pebble Steel running the 1x or 2.x firmware. If there is a manifest file in the "basalt" directory then that app is compiled for a Pebble Time or Pebble Time Steel. If there is a manifest file in the "chalk" directory then that app is compiled for the Pebble Time Round. If there is an app in the "aplite" directory then that app is compiled for the original Pebble or Pebble Steel running the 3.x firmware.

I know that some of the apps in the root directory that are compiled for the 2.9.1 firmware will run on the Pebble Time 3.x firmware but it is hit or miss in my testing. When you try to install a 2.x app on the 3.x firmware that is not compatible it can lock the Pebble and drop the connection from PWP. You can reset the Pebble and it will function correctly but without that app.

I stayed with the safe route and just go by what I know works for sure. I know the Official Pebble App is smarter than PWP and can determine if a 2.x app can run on a Pebble with the 3.x firmware. I need to figure out how to determine that but have not had the time so far. I know it is not a great answer but that is all I have.

Currently Pebble apps that have a worker component do not work with PWP. I hope to fix in the next PWP update..

Thanks for the heads-up about the spelling error.

Latest update to Pebble Watch Pro.

I just submitted the latest update to Pebble Watch Pro to the Windows App Store. Certification normally takes between 2 and 5 business days. I will update this thread after I hear that it has passed certification.

This version has a couple of important updates. First, PWP can now install apps that have a background component. The best example is this is the Misfit app. After it is installed, the Misfit app can function in the background when it is not the active app. This also includes other Pebble apps that do things like count steps, run timers or track battery usage in the background. These apps have no special support in PWP but they can now be installed by PWP and used on the Pebble.

The second update is that PWP can now add Sunrise and Sunset times each day on the Pebble Timeline. This is optional just like adding your Calendar Appointments, and Weather Forecasts up to 4 times a day. Please remember that the Timeline is not updated until 90 to 120 seconds after you start PWP. After the Timeline is updated you can still view it even if PWP is not running.

This will probably be the last update to PWP for a while as I need to get started on a notifications app for the Pebble. Many PWP users have told me in this forum and via email that notifications from a background app are the most important thing we need on Windows Phone for the Pebble. I agree and will do what I can to make that happen.

Thank you for supporting me and my Pebble Watch development since 2013.

Hi @“Greg Banta” and thanks for the update. Good to see you have progressed as far as you have. For my part, I’ve played with the Band 2 for two months now but sent it back, as it really wasn’t doing it for me, even with my 950XL.
I’m a bit out of the loop but wondered whether your latest project for fixing notifications was working around Microsoft’s lack of support for GATT server support?

Hi @"Greg Banta" !
Thank you very much for the update!
I will continue to follow the news of your app. You have done a fantastic job.

Regards

@lostlogik - Currently GATT is not needed with the Pebble. Pebble firmware only talks to Android with Bluetooth SPP. Since with Windows Phone, we emulate Android the Pebble expects all communications over SPP.

The Pebble uses both SPP and GATT for communications with IOS. GATT works out great for notifications but obviously it is not a requirement. It seems like Android users are happier with the Official Pebble Apps than IOS users so I don't think we are missing out on anything, yet.

@Cristiano - Your welcome! Without the great support and encouragement of all the PWP users, this would be a lot more difficult.

You rock, man! I’m going to switch back to Windows mobile when you get notifications running. Maybe by then the Surface Phone will be out (if it exists) and it’ll be a one-two punch of awesome.

Hi @Greg Banta
I just bought pebble time steel and your app and it is great:) with this update even better. Thanks.
One question, will your next app run in background and allow control music by pebble?

Pebble Watch Pro just passed certification. It will take up to 16 hours for it to get updated in the store. So everyone should get the update no later than tomorrow some time.

matis said:
Hi @Greg Banta
I just bought pebble time steel and your app and it is great:) with this update even better. Thanks.
One question, will your next app run in background and allow control music by pebble?

The goal for the next app is to provide background notifications initially. So that will be the focus. The app will work in conjunction with PWP. If I try to move every features of PWP to the new notifications app it would take a longer time to get the notifications out. Once we get the background notifications everyone wants then I can look at a plan to migrate the other features like firmware installation, watchface management, music control, etc.

@“Greg Banta”
I can’t wait to see the notifications app! And I also wanna chime in on the thanks for all your work so far :slight_smile:

Pebble Watch Pro issue: There are definitely problems installing some watch faces/apps on the 3.8.x firmware for Pebble Classic and Pebble Steel users. I will have to work on a fix for this. I will try to get it finished and submitted next weekend.

I’m confused as to what this app actually is/does. Is it a companion app? Does it add functionality? Does it replace the Pebble Time app? Is it available only for Andorid/Windows phones?

@PTR said:
I’m confused as to what this app actually is/does. Is it a companion app? Does it add functionality? Does it replace the Pebble Time app? Is it available only for Andorid/Windows phones?

As there is no official Pebble app for Windows Phone, we have to rely on third party options to use our watch with our phones. PWP is easily the best of those options.

Pebble Watch Pro (PWP) is a great app, but currently needs to run in the foreground. The original MS application, Pebble Notifications runs in the background but does not work with Pebble firmware beginning with 3.
I downgraded my Pebble watch to firmware 2.9.1 so I could use Pebble Notifications running in the background. When I’m not using my phone for other things I also run PWP, it runs happily in the foreground with Pebble Notifications running in the background.

@HemiRobo I see, so it’s a workaround solution for Windows phone users. Thank you

Hi Greg, i use Pebble Watch Pro on my Lumia 1520. Such a great app for Pebble. Hope it can receive notification alert and run in background like “Pebble Notifications” app for Windows Phone soon. :slight_smile:

Hi Greg,
Hello everyone, I am a happy owner of pebble classic That I use for about a year with Windows 8.1.
Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10, but pebble does not work.
The two terminals are Recognized, if I send a test alert from my phone using the application pebble watch pro (test phone call) pebble vibrates, but When I Get a real phone call does not work.
I I installed PWP + pebble connector Beta logs shows me that in this Issue:
Error, Exception while BG task execution access is denied (0x80070005)
Now i have 3.8.2 firmware
Can someone help me?

@luigi - The problem is the Pebble Connect Beta does not work with the 3.8.x firmware. if you use Pebble Watch Pro to install the 2.9.1 firmware, the notifications from incoming phone calls, SMS, emails, etc should start working again.

I am working on a Pebble notifications app that can run in the background and provide those types of notifications for the 3.x.x firmware but I have a lot to do on it before it will be ready.

@Greg

Thanks Greg for all your responses (email, forum).
I tried to restore the 2.9.1 firmware but nothing changes.
Maybe I mixed up some settings.
Could you please specify step by step how to install everything?
Pebble connect beta you need?
Thanks for your patience

@luigi - When you go from 3.x.x firmware to 2.x.x firmware, you will lose all the installed watch faces. The other thing is as you switch firmware and start PWP, you need to wait a minute until PWP can see what the state of the firmware is on the Pebble.

Remember, you may need to remove the Bluetooth connection and pair the Pebble and the phone again. Also, going from the 3.8.x firmware to the 2.9.1 firmware might take an extra step. If you start PWP and wait a minute or 2, you will get a notice from PWP that the firmware did not complete and you need to press a button on the Pebble. You may want to try rebooting both your phone and the Pebble.

As far as the Pebble Connect Beta, I have tried it but I don't use it so I am a bad person to ask. If it was working before you upgraded to the 3.8.x firmware, it should start working again when you drop back to the 2.9.1 firmware. If you never used the Pebble Connect Beta since upgrading to WP10 then you may need to install it again.

I hope this helps!